Wednesday 24 April 2013

Top Books I Liked Less/More Than Expected

Sorry this post is a day late, but I really liked this week's topic and didn't want to miss out because I forgot to write it yesterday!

This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish in which they will post a topic and then participants will make their top ten according to the topic. It's super easy to link up, so feel free to go to their site and join in the fun!

Top Ten Books I Liked Less/More Than Expected
April 23, 2013
  1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling: When I was younger, I used to joke about how I would never read this series. Then I read it in elementary school and I absolutely loved it-- So much that's it's still my favourite series of all time. :)
  2. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins: Gah. The Hunger Games was such a phenomenal debut and Catching Fire was an impressive sequel but Mockingjay? I was bored and amazingly confused while reading it. Didn't live up to my (very high) standards for sure. 
  3. Altered by Jennifer Rush: I read this book on a whim. I knew it was a new release and it sounded interesting but it came in from the library for me before I was ready for it. I still decided to read it and I loved it! Can't wait for Erased
  4. Eragon by Christoper Paolini: I completely thought I was going to love this. Yeah noooooo.... I don't know why I was so bored by it, but I was. I still love the whole idea and dragons and everything but for some reason it did not work for me... at all... 
  5. Blood Red Road by Moira Young: LOVE. I saw this book on the library shelf and thought it sounded interesting. I read it later and am so incredibly glad I did. It's absolutely amazing!
  6. Gone by Michael Grant: One of the most disappointing for sure... I thought I was going to love this so very much. But I didn't. I just couldn't connect with it and there were far too many weak moments from some of the characters I was expecting much more of. 
  7. The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines: I didn't expect much from this one because it was just a fun one, but it turned out to have a much darker side--- and I enjoyed that!
  8. The Archived by Victoria Schwab: I was really excited for this release but it didn't live up to my expectations. I mean, I really enjoyed it, but I was expecting something super awesome and intense and I just didn't quite get that. 
  9. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson: I'd never heard of this book before, but it was at my local library as a new paperback and it sounded interesting, so I checked it out. Even though it took me a while to finally read it, when I did, I ended up really enjoying it, even more than what I thought. 
  10. Prophecy by Ellen Oh: The idea behind this one was great (if not a little generic), but it was the choppy execution and children's/middle grade writing that was the turn-off for me. I also wanted more from the characters. I'd recommend this one to middle-grade readers, but it just wasn't for me. 
  11. Shimmer by Alyson Noel: After flying through Radiance and not loving it, I wasn't that excited or expecting much from the sequel. However, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed this book more than the first. 
  12. Bookweird by Paul Glennon: This book had been recommended to me but I was just so bored. I read this a few years ago (or more than a few) but I just know I had to push myself all the way through to get to the end. 
Sorry, had to add one extra more/less set! Hope you enjoyed. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting and stopping at my blog!