Monday 14 October 2013

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

So I've been behind on everything and haven't done a review in forever. I honestly can't even remember the last time I did a review, and for what book. I recently read this book at the end of September and loved it so much that I thought I'd post a short review (more like me gushing and fangirling to an a ridiculous level).

Title: Vampire Academy
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: Paranormal
Pg #: 322
Reading Span: September 28 - 30
Rating: **** (four stars)

Vampire Academy starts off with our two heroines, Rose and Lissa, being taken back to St. Vladimir's Academy after two years on the run. An evil group of vampires, the Strigoi - the immortal and dead ones - are after Lissa, a Moroi or mortal vampire, and a princess at that. Back at the school, Rose is trying her best to protect Lissa. As a dhampir (both human and vampire), it is her duty to keep the Strigoi from forcing Lissa to become one of them. Dark things are happening at St. Vladimirs - but the mystery is who's behind them.

Gahhhh this was good! I'd heard it was fantastic, but I didn't really think it was my 'type' of read. It was. I wouldn't say the plot was very fast-paced. There really wasn't a ton of action until the end. However, it really worked because it was constantly kept entertaining. Also, the mystery was pretty consistent throughout the novel, so it was sprinkled into the more contemporary, real-life kind of circumstances. I also didn't mind that there was minimal action until the end because I absolutely love reading about boarding schools. Ever since Harry Potter, they've just fascinated me for some odd reason and I am never bored reading them. However, I didn't feel like this element of the book was used to it's advantage. I never heard about any of their classes, really. I feel like there was a missed opportunity there, but potential for the future.

The characters in this book were good as well. Rose was a very strong character. She's strong-minded, smart, witty, and confident. She owned absolutely everyone in this book with her fantastically hilarious remarks and come-backs. Her tough attitude really makes her someone you don't want to cross. That being said, I also found her to be shallow and just plain rude sometimes-- I can't believe how selfish she was about Lissa! However, often she was naive, selfish, or immature. It annoyed me that she expected to be taken seriously when she was so irresponsible about certain things. On a different note, I also loved Lissa. She was so different from Rose with her more sweet and gentle personality, but she was true to her beliefs which I really liked as well. My other favourite character was Christian, because he was so mysterious and different and him and Lissa together was awesome. I was so happy when they finally got together.

Now, I will probably get hate for this, but I'm going to go ahead and say it anyways. I didn't love Rose and Dimitri as a couple. Everyone gushes over them but I was kinda like, nope, not feeling it. It just seemed very basic and typical of the YA romances nowadays and I felt like I was that person watching it happen with their arms crossed, rolling their eyes at the stupidity and swooning. That sounds harsh. Anyways, it wasn't horrible and I like both their characters, I just didn't really believe it.

One thing I really like about this book is how the mystery is slowly building, and finally at the end you find out the real truth. Up until the last part of the book, you don't know why it's so important that Lissa and Rose leave the one place that should be protecting them. This really keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end.

My one sort-of complaint is that I am still super curious on pretty much everything. It feels as if Vampire Academy was only a few chapters of a book, not a full novel. It went by in such a blur that I feel as if I have just barely gotten a taste of the world. I am loving the vampire lore, but I really want more of it! And when will I get to see some real strigoi, hmm? I also am very curious to see where the romance goes (fingers crossed for no love triangle!) and find out how some of the loose ends get tied up. Plus, I can't wait to see more of the characters!!! I am starting the second book today, and am hoping to finish the rest of the series relatively soon.

Thanks for reading this review! I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting and stopping at my blog!