Saturday 28 December 2013

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Finally! A real review! *gasps from the crowd*

Title: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
Author: Rachel Cohn + David Levithan
Pg. #: 260
Reading Span: December 13 - 21, 2013
Rating: **** (four stars)

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares tells the story of two teenagers who share an unexplainable connection through one red Moleskine notebook, and the adventures the simple journal sets them on.

The one word I could use to describe this book would be entertaining. I was so caught up in Dash and Lily's story, mainly because of the characters. Dash and Lily both had very distinct voices and narratives, which added interest and made it easier to distinguish the alternating POV's. At first, though I thought they were fun and interesting to read about, I didn't really like either Dash or Lily. I found Lily to be whiny and Dash to be sullen and rude, but I grew to love them. The supporting characters like Langston, Boomer, and particularly Great Aunt Idea were all super fun and hilarious and I just loved them! I also loved the character dynamic and dialogue in this book - it was so funny and entertaining to read!

The plot progression was well done; something was always happening and new characters were introduced at the right times to give the plot a boost. Plus I just love the idea for this book so very much, with the journal being passed between the two characters. However, I was hoping for a few more dares and less scavenger hunt. I feel like that was a missed opportunity that the authors could've jumped on.

Overall, this book is a cute and light read for the holiday season. It really sucks you in to it's cute and fun world and you'll find yourself immersed in Dash and Lily's story. This is a book I would definitely recommend, especially for Christmas.

Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. Yayyy! A review! I agree with all that you said, although I'm surprised to see that your rating was that high with what you said. Happy reading!!

    - Brianna @ For The Love of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? I just really really enjoyed it! More than I thought!! (:

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting and stopping at my blog!