Thursday 2 January 2014

Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver

Apparently I was on a Lauren Oliver kick! First Delirium, then this. And sorry for taking a two-day break from my four days of book reviews. I have so many posts planned!

Title: Liesl and Po
Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: Middle Grade Paranormal
Pg #: 307
Reading Span: October 17 to 21
Rating: **** (four stars)

The story begins with Liesl, our main character, a quiet girl locked in her tower bedroom for the rest of eternity by her stepmother. Then we have Po, the genderless ghost who comes from the Other Side, and his loyal cat-dog companion, Bundle. Together, the three form a close friendship through (at first) shy encounters that bloom into a heartwarming story. If that on it's own isn't enough to make you say "awww", well, that's where we differ. Then of course there's our other charming characters and subplots, featuring Will as the Alchemists apprentice.

I read this what feels like so long ago that it's very difficult for me to write a review at this point. However, I will try my best.

I loved the characters and the dialogue between them. Liesl was so naive and innocent to start, and after her journey and interactions, you can see her growing up. The other characters like Augusta, Will and the guard were fun characters which made the story much more entertaining. However, I found the stepmother (Augusta) and her daughter to be very stereotypical. The stepmother always has to be evil and ugly. *sighs*

The plot was fun because you could see the confusion unfolding from various perspectives. It was very well-written that way. Sometimes I did find the plot to be a little repetitive or slow, though.

Overall I found it to be a very moving novel. Lauren Oliver wrote this story from her emotions about a close friend's death, and it really shone through in the story. You could tell the emotions were from the heart, and were very real and raw. This story is ultimately one of hope, growing up, and moving on. Because this message was very prevalent throughout the book, I found it to be quite memorable. I would recommend this beautiful coming-of-age tale to everyone.

That's the best I can do! Hope you liked it. Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I've been waiting for this review for ages! Thanks for sharinngggg

    ~ Brianna @ For The Love of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like! Sorry for the long wait. :/

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting and stopping at my blog!